Chairman, Legend Holdings Limited
Founder & Honorary Chairman, Lenovo Group Limited
Liu Chuanzhi founded Legend Holdings in 1984 with $25,000 in funding from the Computing Institute of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS). At the time, Liu was working as a computer scientist at CAS, and had a difficult time recruiting a team. He explains, "It wasn't easy. The lowest thing you could do in the early 1980s as a scientist was go into business.”
Lenovo’s first significant transaction, an attempt to import televisions, failed. The group rebuilt itself within a year by conducting quality checks on computers for new buyers. Lenovo soon invested money in developing a circuit board that would allow IBM PCs to process Chinese characters. The product was Lenovo's first major success.
Legend Holdings has become a conglomerate covering both industrial and investment businesses, and has built a number of industry leading subsidiary companies including Lenovo, Digital China, Legend Capital, Hony Capital, and Raycom Real Estate. Since the acquisition of IBM PC Division in 2005, Lenovo has become the world’s largest PC maker and a Fortune Global 500 Company.
Legend Holdings continues to expand and diversify as the business and consumer world shift towards mobile online computing. Recent acquisitions such as Motorola Mobility and IBM’s server line attest to this transition.
Liu Chuanzhi is often recognized as the “Godfather of Chinese private business”. As a pioneer of Chinese entrepreneurship, Liu has been recognized as one of the “10 Most Powerful Business People in China” (Fortune/CNN, 2012).
- Leading Chinese entrepreneurs to meet
- Chinese entrepreneur group to launch C
- Chinese entrepreneurs scout business o
- New investment platform aims to expand
- Transformer l'amitié économique Cana
- Chinese business leaders laud ‘golden
- Turning Canada-China Economic Friendsh
- China's billionaires club of entrepren
- The China Entrepreneur Club: Ten Years
- 2016 China Entrepreneur Club Annual Ge
- innovation as key pillar of Sino-Europ
- Chinese business leaders to visit Germ
- China-EU Business Breakfast Meeting
- Business luncheon with GE CEO Jeffery
- [Member Visit] Far East Holding Group
- CEC Luncheon with U.S. Ambassador Jon
- CEC Members Meet Gen. Colin Powell
- Dinner with the President and Senior E
- Dinner with Professor Stuart Hart, Aut
- Welcome Lunch for British Former Prime
- Dinner with Mr. John Chambers, the Pre
- Welcome Dinner for WEF Founder Prof. K
- Informal Business Lunch with Portugues
- [Member Visit] Eagle International Gr