President, China Entrepreneur Club (CEC)
President of Council, National Fund for Technology Transfer and Commercialization
Former President, China Merchants Bank
After finishing university, Dr. Ma WeiHua was sent to work for the Liaoning Government in the 1980s. Ma has served multiple government positions, including Deputy Director and later Deputy Secretary General of the Economic Planning Committee of Liaoning Province, Director of the Party Office for both the Liaoning and Anhui Provincial Committees, as well as Governor of the People’s Bank of China Hainan Branch.
Ma was formerly President and CEO of China Merchants Bank from 1999 to 2013, concurrently serving as the Chairman of the Board of Directors for Wing Lung Bank and China Merchants Fund Management. During his 14-year term as President, Ma grew China Merchant Bank from 1 business location of 30 employees to over 900 outlets and nearly 50,000 employees across China. Total assets, deposits, loans and net operating income expand rapidly with a compound annual growth rate of 25%, allowing China Merchants Bank to become China’s 6th largest bank and the 44th largest bank worldwide.
Ma holds a PhD in economics from the South-western University of Finance (China), and an Honorary PhD from the University of Southern California. He is a member of the Advisory Council of London City, member of the New York Financial Consulting Committee Advisory Board, and a member of the VISA Asia-Pacific Senior Advisory Committee.
Ma has received numerous awards and recognitions for his contributions to the private sector. He was named “China Economic Person of Year 2001” by China Central Television (CCTV), one of the “Rising Stars of Banking” by The Banker in 2005, “Asia’s Best CEO”, “Asia’s Banking Industry Leader” and “Asia’s Best Banking President” by Institutional Investor in 2007, 2008, and 2009. He was also named Ernst and Young “Entrepreneur of the Year China” in 2012.
- The China Entrepreneur Club: Ten Years
- 2016 China Entrepreneur Club Annual Ge
- innovation as key pillar of Sino-Europ
- Chinese business leaders to visit Germ
- Business leaders, officials eye new Si
- In Berlin to build bridges, not walls
- Chinese entrepreneurs voice confidence
- Jack Ma, Wang Jianlin Face Off at Shen
- At the Crossroads of Game Changers: 20
- CEC Elects Executive Board for 2015-20
- Ma Weihua on Australia
- Are You being Served？
- China-EU Business Breakfast Meeting
- Business luncheon with GE CEO Jeffery
- [Member Visit] Far East Holding Group
- CEC Luncheon with U.S. Ambassador Jon
- CEC Members Meet Gen. Colin Powell
- Dinner with the President and Senior E
- Dinner with Professor Stuart Hart, Aut
- Welcome Lunch for British Former Prime
- Dinner with Mr. John Chambers, the Pre
- Welcome Dinner for WEF Founder Prof. K
- Informal Business Lunch with Portugues
- [Member Visit] Eagle International Gr